The Best SUVs for winter
Choosing the best SUV for winter ensures a safe and seamless commute throughout the season. Whether you are running errands, going to work or travelling for the holidays, it is vital to choose an SUV that can withstand all the harsh weather that comes with winter. This weather includes everything from deep snow to blizzards, big freezes and fog.
Features to look out for when searching for snow-friendly vehicles include:
- All-Wheel Drive (AWD) system allows the engine to send enough power to all four wheels instead of two. This feature enables the engine to distribute equal force to the front or rear axles. It comes in hand on rough roads for more grip and better handling.
- Heated side mirrors
- Anti-lock brake systems (ABS)
- Blind-spot monitoring
- Headlight wipers
- Stability control
- Emergency braking
The Best 3 SUV cars for winter
The three best cars that are perfect for winter include:
- Audi Q7
- Ranger Rovers
- BMW X5
We can describe the Audi Q7 as a perfect all-rounder. Besides the eye-catching exterior and the elegantly designed interior, this SUV is functionally designed to thrive on various terrain. Audi’s Quattro all-wheel-drive system is one of the best in the industry. This elegant ride has smaller dimensions but relatively high agility relative to most small SUVs. Its agility provides an immense amount of balance in sleek conditions.
Expect a smooth ride in this luxury SUV, whether you are driving in the rain, snow or sand! Other features that make the Audi Q7 perfect for winter include:
- It also has an all-wheel driving system. Purchasing a set of winter tyres will always be an added advantage.
- It’s a low-range gearing system specially designed for off-road adventures.
- Anti-lock brakes
Ranger Rovers are one of the best vehicles for winter driving. The later models, including the Range Rover Vogue 2022, Range Rover Sport, or Range Rover Velar, are all perfect for winter driving. Most modern Range Rover is fitted with a sophisticated full-time 4WD system and off-road features that allow easy driving on ice and snow, although not for a long distance.
Other features of range rover that make it a good SUV for winter include:
- Range Rover features a full-time All-Wheel Drive (AWD)
- Range Rover has great Terrain Response Control. It comes with seven driving modes, including eco, comfort, Grass/Gravel/Snow, Mud and Ruts, etc. The Grass/Gravel/Snow mode lowers the throttle’s sensitivity and gives the vehicle the traction control required to maintain the wheels at their tightest.
- Electronic Air Suspension allows the driver to adjust the car to any preferred height.
- Anti-Lock Braking System.
The BMW X5
The BMW X5 is perfect for those who want the safety that comes with a winter-ready SUV, class and elegance all wrapped in one. This car thrives in the snow rather than simply making it through the snow chaos. The BMW X5 features that make them perfect for winter include:
As BMW’s largest SUV, the X5 is large enough to cut across bumpy terrain, even deep snow.
- The xDrive system is handy for slippery roads, which are common in the winter.
- Good winter tires are a necessity for the X5.
- It comes transferring power to the right wheels to give you lots of usable traction.
- The BMW X5 comes with Heated Steering Wheel that will keep your hands toasty while driving.
- Automatic emergency braking
- Multi-beam LED headlamps also that react to the road situation.
Tips to ensure your SUV is winter-ready
Winter roads can be dangerous when driving to work or running errands. Going on long-distance trips can be very unpredictable. It is essential to ensure that your car is in top shape before you leave home.
Whether you are driving a salon, truck or SUV, tips to ensure that your car is winter-ready include:
- Top up your engine coolant with antifreeze
- Check your tyres and make sure they are not worn out. You can also switch to Winter tyres.
- Ensure your brake lights and headlights are working. This would be very handy in fogs and blizzards.
- Pay attention to the self-diagnostic feature of your car. If it has one, this will advise you when your car service is due.
Car Accessories For Winters
From Silky roads to deep snow and blizzards, there are certain gadgets you can add to your car for extra safety measures. They may not always come in handy, but you will be glad to have them when/ if you need them. This includes:
- An emergency kit that contains warm blankets, hand warmers, a flashlight, reflective vest, water, non-perishable food, road flares and waterproof matches.
- Snow Chains
- Fog Lights
- Heated seat Winter floor mats
- Snow brush and Ice scraper
- Escape tracks
- Remote start kit
- Windshield snow cover
- Wiper blade